For some time the leadership at Bessels Green Baptist Church, Sevenoaks had identified the comparatively small Christian impact in the Dunton Green community. After consultation, prayer and the positive support of the Parish Church of St Mary’s Riverhead, they decided not to start another church but to identify the needs of the community and attempt to meet those needs. Therefore, early in 2005 a group of 19 people were invited to start this work.
Since 2005 the Faithworks Team have been involved in the village in the following ways:
- Taking the Sevenoaks Youth Trust minibus out weekly as a drop in stop for young people
- Running a weekly youth club called DG Massive
- As a Governor at Dunton Green Primary School
- Assisting the Parent Teacher Association at school events like the Summer and Christmas Fairs, and with painting a play area
- Completing a community survey
- Contributing at public consultations about the West Kent Cold Store development
- As active members of the Dunton Green PACT (Partners and Community Together)
- Taking young people on an organised trip to help a church in France
- Leading a prayer and bible study group called DG Light for local people
- Running annual community Fun Days
- Running a Sunday afternoon Cafe for the community in the school
- Helping at the Parent and Toddler group
- Helping at the Age Concern lunch club
- Running evenings for people to enjoy making greeting cards
- Clearing litter from the area
- Painting the fence around the play area for children on the Recreation Ground
Over the years Faithworks members have got to know many people in the community and have worked alongside members from other churches in the village and St Mary’s Church Riverhead in particular.
From August 2010 until January 2012, the Faithworks Team had the use of a building on the corner of Station Road and London Road (the old vet clinic) for community activities with the support of Berkeley Homes. It then moved to the former Bethel Chapel on the corner of Donnington Road until September 2013, since when it has been using different venues around the village such as Donnington Hall and Bojangles Coffee Shop. It is now using the New Pavilion on the Recreation Ground for most of its activities.